Chavya (Balinese long pepper)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Chavya
Chavya is classified as one of the Panchakola group of species. It grows as a wild herb in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Bali and some other neighbouring islands. Chavya grows on trunks in humid tropical deciduous forests and also along beaches. It is also cultivated in the backyards in South-east Asia. Dried, ripe and unripe seeds/roots are used as a spice and also as a medical herb in Ayurvedic medicine. It is a soft woody climber and perennial herb. Varieties of this herb tastes hot, pungent and sweet at the same time.
It is a very good digestive supporter and liver protecting herb. The herb helps in regulating bile juice secretions from liver and digestive juices. It corrects the tissue metabolism, relives haemorrhoids and fistula. It helps in healthy weight control and relieving rheumatic conditions. Chavya effectively treats ama, kapha and vata doshas. Plant parts of Chavya is useful in relieving abdominal pain, colic pain in infants, food poisoning and anorexia.
Medicinal uses of Chavya Root:
- Relieves constipation, abdominal pain, improves digestive strength and worm infestation.
- Useful in treating cough and asthma.
- It has the properties to cure neuralgia, bloating, fullness, paralysis and constipation.
- It has the capacity to cure tumours in the abdomen.
- It is used in treating the issues caused by abdominal enlargement.
- Chavya flower has the properties to treat chronic poisoning.
Medicinal uses of Chavya fruit:
- Fruit of Chavya balances kapha and can cure recurrent cough, asthma, bronchial diseases and other chronic respiratory disorders.
- It has the properties which can instantly relieve diarrhoea.
- It cures throat disorders and worm infestation.
Side effects of Chavya (Balinese long pepper):
- People will find it difficult to digest the spicy root of long pepper.
- It might result in chronic gastritis, burning sensation in stomach, irritation in throat, palm and feet.
- Long term usage of this herb causes unwanted side effects.
- It is not advisable to use this in pregnancy.