Javitri (Myristica dactyloides)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Javitri
Javitri (Latinname - Myristica dactyloides), is the other species of Jaiphal (Also known as MAce or Nutmeg), which is an evergreen tree native to Indonesia. It is widely grown in tropical regions like China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Caribbean Islands, Sri Lanka, India and South America. The tree also is the source for essential oils, extracted oleoresins and nutmeg butter. Javitri is usually used in cooking due to its sweet and delicious flavor. It gives a bright orange and saffron color to the desserts and is used as a flavoring agent in many dishes.
Medicinal uses of Javitri:
- Used to balance the blood sugar levels and to treat urinary tract infections.
- It acts as a cardiac tonic and improves the heart metabolism.
- It has aphrodisiac properties which can improve the vigor.
- Very useful in clearing throat, cough, asthma, throat pain, irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea due to its water absorbing and sputum absorbing properties.
- It reduces bad breath in mouth, moisture in mouth and excessive thirst.
- Used to relieve bloating, flatulence and abdominal pain.
- It acts as an appetizer, improves taste and digestion strength.
- Can treat intestinal worm and intestinal infections.
- It can relieve nausea and vomiting.
- Javitri can reduce the allergic rhinitis.
- It is a natural detoxifier which improves the skin tone and complexion.
- It improves deep sleep and treats insomnia.
- Paste made of Javitri can relieve headache and joint pains.
- Useful in convulsions and epilepsy.
- Used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.
- The oil acts as a stimulant and is applied externally on penis to treat erectile dysfunction.
- Javitri is extensively recommended in pregnancy.
- It is known to relive depression.
- It boosts immunity and resistance power.
- It can detoxify kidneys and liver.
Side effects of Jaiphal:
- Raw fruit used in large dosages has psychoactive effects.
- Using nutmeg in large dosages might affect the fetus during pregnancy and result in hallucination.