Marich (Piper nigrum)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Marich
The Latin name of Marich or Kali Mirch is Piper nigrum. Marich is cultivated for its fruit is usually used as a dried seed as a spice. This herb is a native plant of South India and other tropical regions. It is also cultivated in Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and other European and African regions. Dried Marich is used extensively due to its flavor and medicinal values. This is one of the most important and world’s most traded spice which adds spiciness and flavor to the cuisines.
Due to its medical values, it is used in making one of the important Ayurvedic medicine called ‘Tirkatu’. Marich removes toxic conditions, stimulates the organs and heals many health impairments. It is also used as an antidote for insect bites. Marich is Pungent, light to digest, very strong which is known to enter deep and minutes body channels and is known for its hot potency. It is used to balance vata and kapha doshas in body. The fruit, dried unripe fruits of Marich are used as spices or in medicines.
There are different varieties of this herb called Black pepper, Green pepper, White pepper, Orange and Red pepper.
Health benefits of Marich:
- It is anaphrodisiac which improves taste and anorexia.
- It increases digestion strength, bloating and might cause Pitta if taken in excess.
- It decreases the sputum production.
- It is used to treat worm infestation.
- Marich is very useful in treating asthma, cough and other chronic respiratory disorders.
- Marich is used to encounter recurrent fever.
- Very useful in cardiac disorders and induces cleansing effect on intestines.
- It fights the excess fat deposition thereby reducing the cholesterol and aids weight loss.
Side effects of Marich:
- Excess intake of Marich causes gastritis and burning sensation.
- Long term usage of this spice is not advisable for men with infertility problems.