Effective and Natural Remedies for Depression and Anxiety Following the Ayurvedic Way
Summary: Depression and anxiety treatment in Ayurveda follow simple techniques but are very effective in calming the body and relieving it of harmful stress. The Ayurvedic perspective towards these mental disorders is different and works better than other forms of treatment.
One of the by-products of depression is anxiety. When a person suffers too much mental stress, it can lead to such disturbances as depression and anxiety. Stress is not always bad. When there is a series of events that need more thought and threaten you, stress lets you assess the situation in a better way.
It is the body’s defence mechanism that activates the automatic stress response which determines your response to a dangerous situation. However, if this stress continues to affect you and you cannot manage it, your mind gets affected and depression, as well as anxiety, follows.
The brain is a complex organ. When it perceives a threat, it stimulates the nervous system into releasing stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline. This makes you more alert and prepares your body for an impending danger.
Stress can easily take over your mind if it occurs for long periods, even when there is no threat to you. High amounts of cortisol can damage your body. When there is an increase in stress hormones, it directly results in high blood pressure, muscle stiffness, sugar imbalance, and high heart rate. There are natural remedies for depression and anxiety in Ayurveda that can help you.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Mental Calm
In Ayurveda, depression is a result of an imbalance in Kapha. This causes damage to Vata and pitta which leads to an interference in the normal functioning of the nervous system. Depression and anxiety treatment in Ayurveda begins with counselling.
The patient’s detailed history, lifestyle, and diet are examined and proper modifications are recommended. Practicing yoga while going for Ayurveda therapies benefits a person by stopping the progress of the mental disease and then curing it. If you suffer from too much stress you can benefit a lot by letting Ayurveda therapy help you manage it.
The Ayurveda theory on depression and anxiety states that an increase in the pranavayu affects the nervous system and leads to mental imbalance. Therefore, the treatment of depression and anxiety in Ayurveda focuses on controlling the increase of vata to get the nervous system to function properly.
There are very effective therapies for depression and anxiety treatment in Ayurveda. Nasyam and Shirodhara are two such counter-therapies for anxiety. These two therapies stimulate the vital centres and nourish the brain properly which helps in improving its ability to manage stress.
Remedies in Ayurveda
The natural remedies for depression and anxiety in Ayurveda come in different forms. When you consult an Ayurvedic clinic to receive therapies for mental disturbances, you can avail the following natural anxiety medication.
- Nasyam: This method of treatment follows the administration of oils and drugs through your nostrils. It affects the vital centres of your brain and regulates your emotions.
- Shirodhara: This is a healing massage where medicated oil is poured on your forehead in a pendulum motion. This stimulates and soothes your hypothalamus which again induces sleep and reduces stress.
- Abhyangam: This is a full body massage where the therapist uses medicated herbal oils. This treatment increases the blood circulation in your body and eliminates toxins. The stimulation of the vital points helps the nervous system to function properly and calms the brain.
- Padabhangyam: This is a foot massage with herbal oils which focuses on the vital pressure points of your body to balance the doshas. This stimulation helps your body to calms down. The mental soothing helps in relieving your brain from stress.
- Pizhichil: The therapist squeezes warm medicated oil soaked in a piece of cloth onto your body. This induces physical and mental calm.
- Kizhi: Powders, rice, herbs, and sand are stored in muslin cloth satchels. The therapist heats them up and pounds it on specific parts of the body to improve circulation.
Ayurveda is the best medicine for anxiety and depression and one must seek its help when feeling any kinds of mental disturbances.