Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Bhringraj
Bhringraj plant belongs to the Sunflower family and is widespread across the world. The plant tend to grow in moist places be it warm temperate or tropical climates. It can be easily found in India, Brazil, China and Thailand. This plant has two varieties: White and yellow. Commonly called as “King of Hair”, the parts of plant tastes bitter, sharp, pungent, dry and hot. It has high reputation in traditional medicine as a medicine which enhances hair growth and colour. Roots, seeds, seed oil or the whole plant is used in balancing Kapha and Vata doshas, due to its hot potency. In parts of China and Brazil, the leaves are used as anti-venom to treat snake bites. This plant is used in hair care and skin problems since centuries.
Use of Bhringraj in Ayurveda:
- The important property of Bhringraj is its ability to rejuvenate hair and thus used as a herb in hair care. The herbal oil made from Bhringraj treats early graying of hair, baldness and promotes deep sleep.
- It is also used in treating teeth, bones, eyes, ears, memory related ailments and also skin diseases.
- The powdered root is used in treating hepatitis and enlarged spleen.
- The herbal oil relieves headache and burning urine sensation.
- It metabolizes kidney and liver functioning.
- It has excellent properties to treat gynecological problems. It prevents miscarriages, relieve post-delivery uterine pain and reduces uterine bleeding.
- Bhringraj treats piles, urinary tract infections and kills intestinal worms in infants.
- It has anti-ageing properties which helps in improving skin complexion and rejuvenates body.
- Bhringraj extract or syrup acts as a general tonic in cases of debility which improves strength, immunity and fertility.
- Its paste is used in treating elephantiasis, abscess, and wound healing.