Elavalukam (Prunus Avium)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Elavalukam (Prunus Avium)
Elavalukam is also known as Prunus Avium. It is generally of two types which are Wild Cherry and Sweet Cherry. They belong to a flowering plant species known as Rosaceae. It is a native to the continent of Europe. It is also found in the hills of India, mainly Kashmir, West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh. It has numerous medicinal values and is used for ornamental purposes as well, often cultivated as a flowering plant. The colour of the fruit may vary depending upon its geographical location. It can be red or purple in colour.
Some of the Uses of Elavalukam
- The stalks of the Elavalukam plants have diuretic and astringent properties. These are of great medicinal value.
- Elavalukam helps in treating heart diseases. If taken regularly, the heart remains strong and healthy. It also maintains the cholesterol level in your body.
- It is a great laxative and intake of Elavalukam helps cleaning out the bowels. It also helps in curing constipation as well.
- Elavalukam prevents obesity. Being overweight is a constant invitation to a number of fatal diseases. Elavalukam in small amounts can help you to say goodbye to the excess fat.
- It helps to reduce migraine pains. Migraine headaches are unbearable sometimes and Elavalukam has anthocyanin and bioflavonoid which help to deal with this problem.
- It also helps to prevent cancer as it is a great antioxidant. The anti carcinogenic effect reduces the growth of cancerous cells.
- Elavalukam relieves people of arthritis and gout pain. Anthocyanin and bioflavonoid are the two compounds which ease the pain. With careful use, Elavalukam prevents these diseases too.
- The bark of the tree is aromatic in nature and can be used as a natural substitute for chewing gums. It is undoubtedly a healthier option.
- It acts like a detoxifier. Elavalukam has the ability to purify your blood and cleans out the harmful wastes from your body.
- Elavalukam is also famous for curing and preventing diabetes. It has a great amount of fructose in it which mains the sugar level in our blood.
Contains Plethora of Nutrients
Some of the nutrients are:
- Soluble Fibres
- Salicylic acids
- Organic acids
Among the minerals, Elavalukam has sodium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, etc.
Thus, to sum up, Elavalukam is a great medicinal remedy to many problems and its efficient use can lead to a better lifestyle.