Kulthi (Dolichos biflorus)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Kulthi
The Latin name of Kulthi or Horse Gram is Dolichos biflorus and it comes with a number of health benefits. It is a reddish brown legume that is quite rich in its taste and offers a number of nutritional benefits as well. it is a grain that is quite rich in its content of iron, vitamins and proteins and therefore it is considered the best option for reducing body fats resulting in the reduction of overall weight of the body. Kulthi helps in preventing and curing arthritis and at the same time it also helps in the purification of menstruation. It also possesses dietary fibre in large amounts and therefore helps in balancing the levels of sugar glucose and blood pressure.
Medicinal Properties of Kulthi
Medicinal uses of Kulthi:
- Kulthi can be quite effective in treating haemorrhoids, haemorrhage and diarrhoea.
- It cures menstrual problems, bleeding during pregnancy and leucorrhea.
- It is also effective in treating patients suffering from spleen enlargement, colic and weak liver.
- Kulthi also possesses the properties of curing kidney stones, high blood pressure and gall stones.
- Two or three tablespoons of Kulthi can be soaked in good amount of water for the whole night and then transformed into a paste. This paste can be consumed every day two or three times for getting rid of worm infections, gastric problems, ulcers, cough, breathing difficulty and excessive perspiration.
- A mixture made out of Kulthi powder can help in controlling boils and in relieving skin rashes.
- Adding some amount of Kulthi to water and boiling it and then having it daily can help in regulating fever.
- Horse gram can be added to daily diet as soups, sprouts or water that is boiled in order to get the best health benefits.