Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Mulethi
The Latin name of Mulethi is Glycyrrhiza glabra. Mulethi is an herb that is used widely as a home remedy for various ailments and also in Ayrvedic medicine as a common ingredient. The herb is used since ancient times in both Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine. It is used as a home remedy to treat sore throat, chest congestion and mouth ulcers. The root of Mulethi is 50 times sweeter than sugar and is used as a flavoring agent.
The herb is found in Egypt, Middle East, Turkistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Russia, China, Europe and north India. The herb has a very sweet taste, heavy, unctuous and has cold potency.
Medicinal Uses of Mulethi:
- Mulethi has therapeutic effects on eyes and improves vision.
- The herb is known to improve complexion, promotes hair growth and improves strength and immunity.
- The herb has good aphrodisiac properties which can increase the sperm count.
- Mulethi acts as an excellent medicine to cure throat disorders and improves voice quality.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties can heal wounds, swelling and ulcers.
- It is a natural antidote for toxins and food poisoning.
- The herb is known to relieve thirst, tiredness and exhaustion by providing instant energy.
- It has very good expectorant properties which can expel phlegm form lungs, cures respiratory disorders and degenerative diseases.
- It is a very good cardiac toner which reduces LDL cholesterol and thereby avoiding the clogging plaque formation.
- It boosts the immunity to fight infections.
- It is known to relive pre-menstrual cramps, irritability, bloating, tiredness etc.
- It reduces allergic rhinitis, bronchial asthma, conjunctivitis etc.
- It is used in treating eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis.
- The herb is used in treating menopause health variations.
- It is a very good anti-depressant.
- It is a blood purifier, a brain tonic and used in treating bleeding disorders.
- It promotes fracture healing, relieves dysuria and chest congestion.
- The herb is used in anti-ageing treatments and to reduce high blood pressure.