Neem (Azadirachta indica)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Neem
Neem (Azadirachta indica), the evergreen wonder leaf tree belongs to the Mahogany family, which is native to India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan and Bangladesh. The tree usually grows in tropical and semi-tropical climates. The herb is easily available throughout the year and known for its amazing health benefits. All parts of this tree i.e. root, bark, leaves, stem, gum, flower and seeds are used in traditional medicines to cure numerous ailments like boils, eye diseases, inflammation, infections, fever, skin diseases and dental problems. It is believed that Neem can keep the cancerous cells at bay if consumed one leaf every day.
Neem tastes very bitter, astringent but light to digest and is dry. It has cold potency.
Medicinal properties of Neem:
Medicinal uses of Neem:
- It has Anticancer properties which can keep the cancerous cells at bay and prevents the cancerous cell growth. It is hence advisable to consume a single leaf of Neem every day.
- Excellent medicine to cure skin diseases like acne, dark pigmentation, pimples, blackheads, skin allergies etc.
- Neem leaf paste provides faster healing when applied on the boils of Small pox.
- It can control excess oil in the body.
- Neem leaves are used to treat psoriasis.
- It is a best medicine to treat numerous hair problems like hair fall, dandruff, scalp dryness, early greying of hair and other problems. It conditions the hair, reduces the itching and promotes a lustrous hair growth.
- Neem seed oil was traditionally used as a contraceptive for birth control and abortions.
- Neem acts as an herbal pesticide and insecticide.
- Neem intake balances the blood sugar levels and checks diabetes.
- Neem can heal ulcers and maintains the oral health. The use of Neem to clean mouth prevents bad breath, whitens teeth, makes it strong and reduces tooth pain or inflammation.
- It acts as a blood purifier, used in treating leprosy, regulates hormone levels and enhances blood circulation.