Parn beej (Cuminum cyminum Linn)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Parn beej
Parn Beej, a native plant of Madagascar is a succulent and a popular house plant. This has become naturalized in tropical, subtropical and warm climatic regions. The distinctive property about of this plant is that miniature plantlets profuse form the margins of big leaves called phylloclade. The plant is found in parts of Asia and countries like Australia, Philippines, New Zealand, West Indies, Hawaii etc. The plant when consumed might cause cardiac poisoning in cattle. The plant is appreciated both for its decorative and medicinal properties. It is referred to as ‘Leaf of Life ‘due to its herbal potency.
Properties of Parn Beej:
Medicinal uses of Parn Beej:
- The plant is used in treating kidney stones.
- Parn Beej root is used to treat high blood pressure, diarrhea, dysentery and fever.
- The herb is used in treat cough, cold, chest congestion and asthma.
- Used in treating constipation and stomach pain.
- The paste of Parn Beej relieves boils, wounds, soar cuts, roundworms.
- Parn Beej juice is used to cure ear pain.
- It has anti-diabetic properties used to treat diabetic conditions.
- Used to treat hepatitis, jaundice, Urinary problems and piles. It also acts as a liver toner.
- The leaf extract provides nourishment to hair and treats gray hair.
- The leaves of Parn Beej is used to treat intestinal infections and leucorrhea.
- Parn Beej has its importance in treating certain types of cancer and weight management programs.
- This is used in traditional medicine to treat kidney stones and gall bladder stones.
- It cures shortness of breath, boosts the immune system and cleanses the intestine.
- In folk medicine, the paste is useful in skin ulcers, sprains and insect stings.
- The leaf extract are mixed with green tea, which has positive effects on health.