Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Saunf
Saunf is a perennial herb and a flowering plant which blooms yellow flowers. The native plant of the Mediterranean region is now widely naturalized in other parts of the world, especially near the river banks and sea coast. Fruits, fruit, oil and seeds of Saunf are the used parts.
The herb is very popular for its rich flavor and aroma which is used in both medicinal and culinary purposes. The bulb, foliage and seeds of Saunf are used in many cuisines. The spice is very sweet and cool in nature. The spice is light to digest, unctuous, oily, which tastes sweet, bitter and pungent at once. The herb which has hot potency can balance kapha and vata doshas.
Medicinal uses of Saunf:
- Saunf is useful in treating injuries.
- Saunf improves the immunity and strength in the body.
- The spice is very useful in treating chronic respiratory conditions which might lead to tuberculosis.
- Very useful in treating bleeding disorders.
- The herb is used as a mouth freshener after each meal and is known to improve digestion process.
- It is a very good cardiac tonic.
- The herb does not have any aphrodisiac properties.
- Saunf is used to relieve menstrual pain in women.
- It is known to cure worm infestation and infections.
- It relieves constipation, vomiting, nausea and other abdominal anomalies.
- It relieves the burning sensation in stomach, anorexia and improves appetite.
- It is also used in treating common cold and cough.
- The Ayurvedic medicines prepared using Saunf can relieve constipation and piles.
- It is also known to improve memory power and intelligence.
- Used in treating abscess, sinus etc.
Side effects of Saunf:
Saunf is not advisable in people who are undergoing aphrodisiac therapies. Due to its non-aphrodisiac properties it might decrease the sexual performance in such cases.