Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Shankhpushpi
Shankhpushpi which is a native creeper commonly found throughout India and Burma is a popular garden plant. The plant usually grows well in rainy season with beautiful bell shaped flowers which are in vibrant blue and white colors. The plant also has its importance in Ayurvedic medicine which helps us to deal with the daily stress, anxiety, tensions, memory loss and sleeplessness. Root of Shankhpushpi is predominantly used in medicinal preparation, but other parts are used in specific medicines.
Shankhpushpi is bitter, astringent, heavy to digest, glossy, sticky, sweet, unctuous, coolant in nature but has a hot potency. It can balance the tridoshas in the body.
Medicinal Properties of Shankhpushpi:
- Shankhpushpi is one of the few herbs which is used to reduce stress levels, anxiety, memory loss, tensions and to keep the brain calm and relaxed.
- The herb is commonly called as a brain tonic.
- The herb when taken every day in small quantities boosts memory power, therefore, used treating in Alzheimer’s disease, dementia.
- It balances the neurotoxins and acts an anti-depressant drug which reduces the effect of toxins on the brain.
- It rejuvenates the brain and acts as a psycho-stimulant and tranquilizer.
- The herb is useful in insomnia, which promotes good sleep.
- Its anti-ageing properties rejuvenates the skin, reduces skin disorders and improves the life longevity.
- Very useful in epilepsy treatments and psychiatric disorders.
- It improves digestion, strength and relieves constipation.
- It promotes hair quality and growth.
- Very useful in treating sexual disorders in men due to its aphrodisiac properties.
- Useful in relieving fluid retention, migraine and high blood pressure.
- Used in treating asthma and bronchitis.
Side effects of Shankhpushpi:
- The herb is not advisable during pregnancy.
- It is not advisable for people with low blood pressure as it might further decrease the blood pressure.