Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Suran
Suran which is commonly called as an Elephant foot yam is a tropical tuber crop. The plant is cultivated primarily in Africa, South Asia, Southeast Asia and pacific islands. The plant also grows wild in India, Sri Lanka, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia and others. It has gained popularity as a vegetable in many cuisines.
Suran is also popular in traditional medicines and has its mentions in Ayurveda, Unani and Siddha medicines. The corm of Suran is suggested for treating bronchitis, asthma, dysentery, enlargement of spleen, abdominal pain, emesis, piles, elephantiasis, hiccups, fistula, rheumatic swellings and diseases due to vitiated blood. The corm is also used in treating prostatic hyperplasia. The tablet Suran Vatak, an Ayurvedic medicine treats hemorrhoids, Malabsorption syndrome, respiratory conditions, etc. But the medicine should be administered under strict medical supervision.
It is known to balance vata and Pitta disorders.
Properties of Suran:
- Potentiator when used with antibiotics
Medicinal uses of Suran:
- Used in healthy weight management, which reduces the bad cholesterol in the body.
- Improves digestion, strength by reducing bloating and irregular bowel movements.
- Regulates the blood flow, thereby reducing the hypertension.
- It’s a good cardiac medicine, which prevents unnecessary clots in the blood vessels.
- It maintains the hormonal balance in women and provides relief from pre-menstrual syndrome.
- It improves the appetite, heal ulcers, bronchial irritation, cough and aids faster wound healing.
- The corm of Suran has a good mix of essential minerals like calcium, copper, zinc, selenium, iron, phosphorous, iron, manganese and
- magnesium. It also contains a good amount of dietary fibers which nourishes the body.
- The herb gives instant energy to the body as it is a high calorie food and prevents weakness.
- It strengthens muscles and bones.
- Used in the treatment of piles or fistula.
Side effects of Suran:
Over dosage of Suran may cause burning sensation in stomach.