Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Yav (barley)
Yav or barley is an annual, erect, herb, having immense medicinal values. It is well known for its antiurolithiatic, diuretic, Antidiabetic and antioxidant properties. The plant grows up to a height of 3 feet. Yav is extensively cultivated in United States, Canada, Germany, France, Spain, and Russia. It is the 4th largest cultivated grain crop after wheat, rice, and corn. The scientific name of Yav is Hordeum vulgare L. It belongs to the Poaceae family. It is one of the first cultivated grains.
The plant generally prefers temperate climate. The leaves are narrow, tapering in nature and the stem is made up of nodes and internodes. The nodes are solid in nature whereas the internodes are hollow. The inflorescence grows at the top of the stem. Yav seeds have a nut-like flavour and are rich in carbohydrates. It also contains a moderate amount of protein, calcium, and phosphorus and some quantity of vitamin B. The gluten content is very less in the seed so it cannot be made into bread. It can be mixed with wheat to prepare multigrain flour.
Medicinal Properties of Yav
- Antiurolithiatic (Prevents stone formation in urinary bladder)
- Diuretic (Increases the volume of urine)
- Antioxidant (Prevents damage to the cell by oxygen)
- Helps in Digestion
- Antidiabetic (Controls blood sugar level)
- Keeps the heart healthy
- Reduces gallstone occurrence
- Reduces kidney stone occurrence
- Stomachic (Increases appetite)
Uses of Yav in Ayurveda
Yav is very popular as an Ayurvedic medicine and many Ayurvedic doctors advise to drink a cup of Yav water in the morning to prevent many body ailments. Latest research work has suggested that yav water is useful to fight against UTIs (Urinary Tract Infections), gallstone occurrence, kidney stone occurrence, controls diabetes and keeps the heart healthy.
- Drinking Yav water in the morning acts as a diuretic. It increases the formation of urine and protects the body from UTIs. It helps to flush out the bacteria and other pathogens from the body through the urine and keeps the body healthy.
- Yav is rich in vitamin B which helps to break down homocysteine, an amino acid connected to stroke and thus prevents heart ailments.
- Yav contains a soluble fibre, β glucan which is helpful in lowering the LDL cholesterol level.
- It contains a high level of insoluble fibre, which is helpful in keeping the blood sugar level within the normal level.
- It increases the release of bile from the liver and gallbladder which promotes fat metabolism.
- Regular drinking of Yav water is helpful in flushing out the toxins from the body.
Thus we can see that regular consumption of Yav is highly beneficial to our body. It is recommended by Ayurvedic doctors since ages to keep our body fit and healthy.