Effective and Proven Ayurvedic remedies for Depression
Summary: Depression can seem like a hard enemy to defeat sometimes. You might feel that you are forever stuck in the dark pit that is depression and there is no way out. Here is a thing they say about medicines, unless you want to get better, even medicines cannot help you. According to Ayurveda, only when you change your thoughts and adopt a healthier lifestyle, you would be able to defeat depression. It is not so difficult once you begin. Do not give up.
Depression can be defined as a mental disorder that is characterized by long periods of sadness and feeling of hopelessness for so long that it starts affecting how you handle daily activities. It is one of the most common problems plaguing this generation. Feeling sadness is common, but depression has a way of eating you inside out so that all that remains is a feeling of hopelessness.
Causes of Depression
Although there is no definite cause of depression, a combination of risk factors can likely cause depression. Some of them are-
- People with less successful coping strategies are likely to succumb to depression more easily.
- First degree relatives of depressed people are at a risk of becoming depressed themselves.
- People with a previous episode of depression can easily get it again.
- Childhood trauma or any devastating life incident that you are unable to cope up with like a divorce, financial or medical concerns, work or study related issues, the death of a loved one etc.
- Drugs and alcohol abuse is one of the leading causes of depression in people.
Symptoms of Depression
- Sleeping too much or having trouble in falling asleep
- Loss of interest in pleasurable activities and the inability to enjoy oneself
- A feeling of guilt and worthlessness constantly plaguing your mind
- You are unable to think properly and take decisions and there is a lack of concentration in anything you do.
- You constantly feel restless
- You feel irritated without any reason
- There is a lack of sexual desire
- It is seen that depressed people have recurring thoughts of suicide and may have attempted suicide in the past.
Cons of Antidepressants
Antidepressant medications are generally prescribed along with psychotherapy and problem resolving treatments. However, antidepressants come with the warning that they can cause an increase in suicidal thoughts and actions in the first few months of treatment.
Ayurveda and Depression
According to Ayurveda, depression is caused due to the disturbance in the psychic energies like sattva, rajas and tamas and physical energies like vata, pitta, and kapha. Due to negative thoughts and activities, emotions like hatred, anger, and grief, these energies get imbalanced and in turn give rise to mood disorders like depression.
Ojas is the essence of all dhatus. Weakened ojas distribute prana vayu thus making it unable to stimulate the mind. Anxieties, irritability, a lack of interest to do anything, low self-esteem are some signs that indicate weakened ojas.
Ayurvedic Medicine for Depression
Instead of going for medication, Ayurveda suggests a change in the quality of life, therapies and herbal preparations to deal with depression. Once you have a clear mind, you would be able to cope with your problems and depression woold start to lose its hold on you.
Herbal Remedies for Depression
- The Saffron extract may improve some of the depression, but a higher dose can cause side-effects.
- Arjuna, Ashwagandha, Clove, Amla, and Cardamom are some of the Ayurvedic herbs for depression.
- A spice blend of black pepper, dried ginger, coriander, cumin, and turmeric can help to uplift your mood.
- You can take herbal supplements as a treatment for mild depression. These should be used with caution as they can interfere with other medications, immuno-suppressive drugs used in organ transplantation and drugs for birth control.
Some Home Remedies That Work for Depression
- You can take one teaspoon of Ashwagandha powder with a spoon of ghee. This concoction is said to be very effective against depression.
- Having a teaspoon of licorice root powder with water in empty stomach is good for your mind.
- A boiled preparation of rock candy (mishri) with one tablespoon of rose petal will help to lift your mood.