How Can Ayurveda Help in the Treatment of Migraine?
Migraine is a paroxysmal ailment which is characterised by severe headache on one part of the head. It is associated with problems relating to liver, vision and digestion. The headache from migraine takes place when an individual is under severe mental stress and has overcome it. The pain on the head and the neck muscles occur suddenly after they have been overexerted. As per ayurveda, the severe headache is the result of disorder in the tridosha, ‘the mind and the body constitution. Ayurveda has delivered magical remedies for the treatment of this chronic pain on the head. Ayurvedic practices can strengthen the weaker parts of the body to bring about a permanent relief from the ailment.
Who Can Suffer from Migraine?
It is more common among people with certain kinds of personality traits like those who are intelligent and want to be perfectionists. People who are sensitive and methodical can also have migraine attacks.
Causes of Migraine as Per Ayurveda
- Migraine pain is due to a disorder or imbalance in ‘tridosha’.
- Migraine pain can be the result of disorders in the pitta, vata and kapha. When the systemic pitta deviates into your cardiovascular system, affecting the blood circulation in the blood vessels in the brain, migraine attack occurs. When the pitta is sharp and hot, the blood vessels around the brain tend to dilate. This leads to an increased pressure on the nerves, causing a migraine attack.
- Pitta disorder is the leading cause of migraine which is characterised by red and watery eyes, increased sensitivity to noise and flashes of light, increased anger and irritability. The sufferer may experience a burning sensation in the eyes. This directly leads to blood toxicity and liver toxicity.
- Environmental and genetic factors can also cause migraine
According to Ayurveda, migraine can be treated when one consumes pitta pacifying herbs, foods and follows a pitta pacifying lifestyle.
Ayurvedic Remedy for Migraine
Besides taking herbal supplements for migraine, a migraine sufferer is required to change his lifestyle and needs to follow preventative measures to save himself from the migraine attacks. Ayurveda stresses on the consumption of pitta pacifying food whereby one must not eat citrus and sour fruits, spicy and hot foods. Fermented and processed food must also be avoided. Ayurvedic remedy for migraine may be administered for the treatment of migraine. Herbal cures do not have any side effect and also bring about a permanent relief from the severe pain in the head. Below are the top 4 herbal cures for migraine, according to Ayurveda:
- Butterbur is a very beneficial herb which is worth considering here. It can prevent the occurrence of migraine attacks. The herb may reduce the episodes of spasm in and around the blood vessels of the brain. It directly reduces the frequency of migraine attacks.
- Regular head massage with 1 teaspoon of warm castor oil at bedtime can bring relief from the pain. You can also undergo detoxifying sessions to avoid the migraine attacks.
- People who suffer from migraine generally have lower levels of magnesium. The blood vessels of the brain may get constricted due to a deficiency of magnesium. You can intake herbal magnesium supplement.
- Ath Ardhari is the finest herbal treatment for migraine. If you suffer from frequent episodes of severe headache, you may start taking the herbal supplement. The magical herb offers a permanent relief from the headaches in a safe, gentle and powerful manner.
Reasons for Considering Ayurveda for Migraine
First of all Ayurvedic treatment is safe and does not show any side effect. Ayurvedic herbs maintain equilibrium in the nervous system and the human mind. Herbs have a very relaxing and soothing effect on the mind and powerfully address nervous tension. Regular intake of Ayurvedic supplements can promote the ability to have a relaxed and clear state of mind.
Ayurvedic treatment for migraine can relieve frequent episodes of headaches associated with tension, stress and worry. They can relax the mind, restore the peace and alleviate any heavy feeling in the head.