Ayurvedic Treatment of Grahani
SUMMARY: IBS or irritable bowel syndrome is a gastrointestinal disorder which affects the large intestine or colon. Chronic in nature, the gastrointestinal disorder has become a common health issue with reportedly 2.4 to 3.5 million patients taking the problem to their physician in India every year. Fortunately, there has been introduced a number of Ayurvedic treatment for irritable bowel syndrome for the victimised patients.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Grahani indicates a pathological state of a part of the Gastrointestinal tract, mainly the small intestine. This track serves as a storehouse for the food that is consumed. It stores the food until it is digested properly. The problem appears when this track is deranged due to non-functioning digestive enzymes. This leads to the abnormal motility of the small and the large intestines, thereby causing abdominal pain, constipation, and diarrhea. This disease of the intestine can be treated with natural remedies for IBS that are easily available.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms
There are easy ways to detect IBS without referring a specialist. To know if you are suffering from IBS, look for the following symptoms:
- Constipation or infrequent bowel movements.
- Diarrhea or frequent loose stool with the presence of mucus.
Types of Irritated Bowel Syndrome or Grahani
Ayurveda acknowledges four different kinds of IBS and has discovered natural remedies of irritable bowel syndrome accordingly. The different kinds of Grahani are:
- Constipation: Predominant IBS or commonly known as constipation shows clinical features like skin dryness, mouth or throat dryness, alternating constipation and diarrhea, thirst or bloating, and a feeling of coldness in the body. Constipation is also associated with groin pain and weight loss apart from insomnia and anxiety.
- Diarrhea: The natural indicators of diarrhea are heart burns, thirst, mood swings that often swing between irritation and anger, inflammation of the joints, sweating, fever, and discharge of foul smelling stool.
- Dysentery: Dysentery makes its presence known through nausea, indigestion, heaviness in the chest and abdomen, lethargy, sluggish bowels and mucus in stools.
- Tympanites: A person suffering from Tympanites can hear rumbling sounds in the abdomen and increased bowel movements. Presence of undigested food particles in the stool is another sign of the disorder.
Complex IBS or Accrual IBS has the combined features of all the symptoms listed above. It is more chronic than Predominant IBS. Complex IBS can be cured by Ayurvedic treatment of irritable bowel syndrome.
How to Treat Grahani Naturally?
Natural remedies for IBS may include major changes in lifestyle the dietary habits. Unless the disorder becomes long-lasting and chronic, there is no reason to panic. You can take help through Ayurveda as a part of the natural remedies for irritable bowel syndrome or grahani.
- Grahani can easily be treated through some minor to major lifestyle changes, depending on the patient and the type of disorder he is suffering from. Anxiety and stress can often lead up to the disorder, thus, special care should be taken to keep the mind stress free during such conditions.
- Fats, caffeine, fructose, legumes, raw onions and beer increase the symptoms. During such times, a patient should avoid such food completely.
- Elimination of foods like beans, cabbage, and other foods containing fermentable carbs should be avoided. Reducing intake of apple juice or grape juice, bananas, nuts, and raisins will also help reduce the uneasiness.
- Buttermilk is a great product that can cure IBS. A diet of buttermilk will work to treat the condition as well as provide nutrition to the body, the nutrition that the body desperately needs in these conditions. It can be easily digested and is helpful in improving the consistency of stool. The lactobacillus present in the buttermilk helps restore the proper functioning of the intestines.
- A light diet is recommended. Foods such as bread, red meat, cheese and raw uncooked foods should be avoided to increase the recovery process.
- Identifying food intolerances will do you good. Identify the food products that your body cannot stand, and eliminate them from your diet.
IBS is a tough condition to handle if proper precautions are not taken with immediacy. Chronic disorders arising from the carelessness of treatment can become a problem. Natural remedies for IBS generally help if followed with proper attention and care.