How Is Diabetes Treated With Ayurvedic Medicine?
Summary: Diabetes can lead to various serious health problems like heart attack, nerve damage, stroke, blindness, amputation of the limb and even impotency. Diabetes treatment in Ayurveda promises a safe and effective treatment without the risk of side effects by simple home remedies, change in diet and maintenance of a proper lifestyle.
Diabetes has become as familiar a disease in every household as the common cold. Stress, improper diet, irregular sleep patterns and a demanding lifestyle contribute to its cause.
According to Ayurveda, Diabetes or Prameha, are of 20 forms. 10 are caused by Kapha, 6 from Pitta, and 4 from Vata. If not treated effectively, all of these forms ultimately develop into Diabetes Mellitus or Madhumeha.
Diabetes Mellitus refers to a chronic metabolic condition when the body fails to make suitable use of glucose, resulting in high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) and sugar in urine (glycosuria).
In Ayurvedic practice, the emphasis is not just given in temporary balancing of blood sugar levels. Through the simple methods of exercise, balanced diet and panchakarma (bio-purification), it ensures proper revitalization of the body so that no further complications can occur.
Causes of Diabetes:
Depending on heredity, ethnicity, health and environmental factors, some of the prime causes of diabetes include:
- Lack of exercise
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Mental stress
- Increasing age
- Improper diet
Symptoms of Diabetes:
Some of the primary symptoms of diabetes are:
- Numbness of feet and hands
- Burning of soles and palms
- Blurred eyesight
- Urinary and/or vaginal infections
- Extreme appetite and thirst
- Skin infections
Herbal Remedies For Effective Curing Of Diabetes:
Some of the natural Ayurvedic remedies for diabetes include:
- Jamun: Jamun leaves help to prevent starch from converting into sugar. For the best effect, grind some jamun seeds into powder and add to a glass of lukewarm water. Have it twice a day. Chewing on raw jamun leaves after a meal acts as one of the most effective Ayurvedic medicine for sugar control.
- Aloe Vera and Ground Bay Leaf: Prepare a mixture of 1-2 tsp of turmeric and ground bay leaf and add 1 tsp of aloe vera. Have it twice a day. It helps in controlling and balancing the blood sugar level.
- Amla: The chromium mineral in Amla makes the body more responsive to insulin. It also regulates carbohydrate metabolism. Take amla fruit powder twice a day. It is the finest diabetic medicine in Ayurveda.
- Bitter Gourd: Have a glass of bitter gourd juice on an empty stomach in the morning on a daily basis. Prepare it by grinding after removing the seeds. Add some water to it and sieve it. You can also prepare a simple dish by cutting it into small pieces and adding mustard oil, green chilli, onion, and salt for taste. It is considered the best diabetic medicine in Ayurveda.
- Methi Seeds: A combination of Methi (Fenugreek) seeds and Ayurvedic herbs is a great cure for diabetes. Grind turmeric and Methi seeds in a glass of milk and have it twice a day. You can also soak Methi seeds overnight in some warm water and chew them in the morning. Chapattis made using Methi powder is another option.
- Cinnamon Powder: Add 3-4 tsp of cinnamon powder to 1 litre of water and heat it for about 20 minutes. Strain the concoction to separate the liquid, cool it and drink it twice daily. It is extremely helpful in lowering the blood glucose levels in Type 2 diabetic patients.
With some light exercise, home remedies and proper diet, Ayurveda helps treat diabetes from the roots.